Friday, February 28, 2014

On Gratitude and Special Needs: Our Trip to the River Jordan



Well, friends, as I'm sure you could tell from my facebook posts, we had a wonderful time on our trip to Jordan last month. One of the highlights of our trip was a visit to the River Jordan, where we had a once in a lifetime chance to go down to the very spot where it is believed that Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist. It is a moment that will stay with me for the rest of my life.

Excavated remains of Bethabara
The River Jordan no longer flows through this area (it's a little farther out now), but the earth and stones that Liam and I are touching (in the VIDEO below) are the excavated remains of Bethabara -- and the very spot where it is believed that Jesus disrobed and prayed before being baptized by John the Baptist. Our wonderful tour guide, and two others we had to check with to make sure they wouldn't object, insisted I bring Liam down there: "It is very important. It is very lucky. Only the Pope goes there."

Click HERE for Video if you're on a mobile device.


If I look petrified in the video, it's because I've already had to climb under a set of ropes (the entire section is roped off from visitors) and all I can think about is a heavily armed man running up and yelling at me, since the site is located in a military zone. Also, as my husband often reminds me, I am not a person who likes to break the rules.


As we began to make our way back to the bus, my husband said to me, "Did you say a little prayer?" And because I didn't want to admit that the only prayer I said was, "Please, God, don't let me get in trouble for being down here," I said "yes" and continued walking. 


"I feel like I could cry," I said to him a few moments later. And it was then that I realized there was only one prayer to say: thank you.


It never occurred to me in that moment to ask God to 'fix' Liam. It didn't occur to me to pray to Jesus and ask him to help Liam walk.

It never occurred to me to ask for anything. I only felt an overwhelming sense of gratitude.

When we started on this journey almost five years ago, I never dreamed I'd be at this place. I spent the last four months of my pregnancy focusing on the things my little boy would never do. I spent those months wishing away his Spina Bifida. Five years ago I would've been our tour guide. I would've seen a little boy in a wheelchair and thought, this child could use a miracle.

But now I know the truth: we don't need any miracles.

Because we already have one.

  
"So much has been given to me. I have no time to ponder that which has been denied."
- Helen Keller






More pictures from our trip...



 
On our way to the River Jordan!

Click HERE for video if you're on a mobile device: "We're going to the River Jordan!"



Enjoying his treats from friends we met along the way. Liam came home from the River Jordan with a Jesus necklace, a rosary, and delicious marshmallow cookies.







Mommy & Liam at the Dead Sea

Floating in the Dead Sea!
Click HERE for video if you're on a mobile device: Liam Floating in the Dead Sea!



On the drive to Petra
Hiking in the Middle East

Family Picture at Petra

Our little world traveler on the flight back to Kuwait 


5 comments:

  1. It must have been cool to walk where Jesus walked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brigid, I loved the video of Liam floating in the Dead Sea. What a wonderful memory to give him, and you. Also, I'd never have asked for anything but Thank You were I able to be, or take my son, to the place Jesus was baptized. Powerful stuff and it sounds like an amazing trip. I'm glad you guys get to do so much of this awesome stuff before settling in back here in the states, in your new home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really was an incredible trip, Kristi. I'm so grateful we had a chance to experience all of this while we've been out here, especially since I'll be living in a boring suburb in Illinois next month. lol. Ah, well, I guess sometimes boring can be good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just curious as to how the new house is coming! xo and thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Caked Designs