Friday, June 28, 2013

Talking To Liam About Spina Bifida

Photo Credit: Dot's FB Page (sent in from new family)

You guys! Look at this cute little kitty that was born with Spina Bifida (and her adorable, pink diaper). Melts my heart! I'm so glad she finally found her forever home.

Photo Credit: Dot's FB Page

When I happened upon Dot's Facebook Page last week, I had no idea that it would spark a "conversation" between Liam and myself. Before I knew it, I was showing Liam her picture and saying, "Look at this kitty, Liam. She was born with Spina Bifida...just like you." I heard myself say the words, and immediately felt a sense of relief, even though my body was trembling a bit. Liam nodded and smiled and simply said, "yeah!" Who knew a special little kitty would be responsible for this very important moment?

You know what's funny, though? I wasn't even aware that I was anxious about having this conversation with Liam. Sure, he's heard me talk about Spina Bifida, but I've never actually talked directly to him about it. God knows I've talked to my nieces about it, though. They know about catheters and surgeries and physical therapy. My nine year old niece, Kyley, even started an all about me book for Liam, and made this page about Spina Bifida (of course, it's her 9 year old understanding of SB):



Funny story about Kyley: awhile back I was teasing her and said, "Ky, do you think Auntie should have another baby?" She replied with an emphatic "yeah!" and then said, "but, Aunt Brigid, try not to have one with Spina Bifida this time, okay?" I burst out laughing and yelled "Ky!!!" and she very calmly (and matter-of-factly) stated, "what? Then you won't have as much work to do." She does have a point. Silly kid.

I don't have any profound revelations to share from this little talk with Liam. But what I can tell you is that it was a real reminder of how difficult and heart-wrenching this parenting gig can sometimes be. I know this was only the first of many conversations that we'll have, and I know as Liam gets older he'll have a lot of questions, but at least we've opened up the lines of communication. Thank you, Dot!

If you'd like to read more about Dot, click here.



2 comments:

  1. This brought me to tears. You are such a brave and wonderful momma, Brigid. :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Caked Designs