Thursday, May 2, 2013

10 Ways Liam (Successfully) Avoids Going To Sleep At Bedtime


Ideally, this is how Liam's bedtime routine is supposed to work: Liam and I cuddle in bed, read one of his favorite books, and say good-night. Once he falls asleep, I sneak out and get to start my night: facebook, reading, emails, The Real Housewives of (enter any city here). My God, do I love my time alone at night. Sometimes, however, getting Liam to sleep and me out of his room takes longer than usual. Here are ten ways he makes sure I feel like it's never going to end:

1. He starts talking in sentences, something he very rarely does during the daytime: Let's get out of here, please Mommy. Turn on the light.


2. He practices spelling his words: F-R-O-G spells FROG. How 'bout...alligator? A-L-L-I-G-A-T-O-R spells ALLIGATOR. How 'bout... etc, etc, etc.


3. Holds out his arms and says, "Hugs, please" and "kiss, please," over and over again.


4. Starts making fart sounds with his hands.


5. Pretends something is in his eye; although, this is also a technique he uses during the day. I have watched this child lie on the floor, push his bike onto his legs, and yell "help, help." 


6. Pretends he is a scary monster: roooaaaarrrrrrr!!! (And he is seriously the cutest monster I've ever seen).


7. Talks to the Sesame Street Characters on his walls: Hi, Elmo. E-L-M-O spells Elmo. O is a circle.


8. If I'm reading my Kindle next to him, he starts reading some of the words, saying the page numbers, or yelling "too bright, too bright."


9. Asks to read a (specific) book again: All the World, please Mommy? Alexander, please Mommy? (Thank God he is over his obsession with Blue's Clues books. I don't think I could've handled one more night reading those poorly written books).


10. He suddenly decides his lips are chapped: Chapstick, please Mommy! (I can't resist him when he's polite AND puts my name at the end of his requests).


These techniques of his NEVER FAIL. And I thought this child had me wrapped around his little finger before he started talking?! I'm in trouble.


Roooaaaarrrrrr!!!

In other news: In my last post, I mentioned donating to my cousin's special needs classroom in honor of sweet, sweet Gavin. My cousin sent me a note saying her students were so moved by Gavin's story, they decided to make birthday cards and buy books for another child with special needs. The love is spreading, friends, and Gavin's gentle spirit is living on. It makes my heart so happy.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Caked Designs