Friday, August 16, 2013

Love: Then and Now

All week long I've been trying to think of things that I used to love. I'm drawing a blank. 

Okay, so I'm not drawing a total blank. Maybe oreos and Subway cookies and large pizzas all to myself keep coming to mind. But I can't possibly write about how much I used to love food. I can't. I won't! I'm going to save the last shred of dignity I have left, and not talk in depth about how much I used to love moonpies.


But since I can't quite remember anything substantial that I used to love, here are some things that I love right now:


I love that at least once a day, Liam leans into me and says, "I love you, Mommy. You're my best friend."


I love that as soon as he hears his Daddy's car in the parking lot, Liam starts crawling for the front door, yelling "Daaaaddddyyyy!" 


I love watching Liam crawl up to the couch, pull himself to stand, and then take a couple of small steps towards the couch -- something he couldn't do six months ago.


I love Liam's misuse of pronouns. I love that when he wants to be held, he puts his arms out and says "hold you again." And when he wants to play, he says "come play with you." I haven't yet figured out if this is just bad grammar or a very effective manipulation technique, but either way it works. 


I love that every night when we climb into bed to read a bedtime story, Liam says "I'd really like to cuddle, please."


I love that in the middle of the night, he'll sometimes wake up and say "no take nap." Okay, so when I'm exhausted or trying to get stuff done, I don't exactly love this little habit of his, but sometimes it is surprisingly adorable.


I love the way Liam says "awww, he is so cute," anytime he sees an animal on t.v.


I love watching him do push-ups with his Daddy. 


I love when Liam does something funny, and, out of the corner of my eye, I can see his Daddy crack a smile.


I love my perfect, little family.


I'm sure I used to love a lot of things. Before Liam. Before my husband. But I can't seem to remember any of them.


This has been a Finish The Sentence Friday post. Today's sentence is: I used to love... 

Linking up with these fine ladies:
Janine: Janine’s Confessions of a Mommyaholic
Kate: Can I Get Another Bottle of Whine?
Stephanie: Mommy, for Real
Kristi: Finding Ninee


9 comments:

  1. Beautiful post Brigid and I love how you love so much of your little boy Liam right now. Seriously, I know the feeling and I so with you on just loving my little girls to pieces. I know sometimes I can be a bit sarcastic about certain things and even my post today, but that is my humor, because like you wouldn't change it for the world. And thank you so much for linking up with us again and hope you enjoy your weekend now, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, that last line, Brigid! I totally get it. It's like such a distinct before and after that the before just doesn't seem to matter! Love it! And, oh, that picture!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooooooo sweet, and what a great smile he has!! Infectious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, Brigid! I love how you answered the sentence about what you used to love! I have goosebumps. This is so so good. And how adorable that Liam says "hold you again." That would melt me. And that photo of your little family is so happy-making.

    PS I'm confused - do you no longer love moonpies? Because that seems wrong, somehow...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that was so wonderful! I am so glad I have discovered your blog now! I teared up a bit at "hold you again." My daughter does the pronoun thing too, and I kind of want it to last forever. I absolutely love it. I am really glad you joined FTSF today! Great to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an adorable picture and great entry! So cute :) your family is adorable :) I am glad that I joined the FTSF :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad you came to my blog. I have been devouring yours! You are an awesome writer and I love your honesty. I can relate in many ways, from the facebook thing to the feelings you expressed about your son and several other posts. I loved reading this post about the things that you love. Looking forward to reading along as you share your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Liam is adorable...and so are you. No one ever wants to hear the words, "I can't." Hopefully, Liam only needs a short rest before he tries again. I'm sure that is the case. Glad I'm able to post comments, Brigid. It is awesome to be back in business because not long ago, I was was with Liam and uttering (if not screaming) "I can't!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Linda! I am sure Liam will eventually be able to do it -- he's already done more than I ever dreamed possible. :)
      -Brigid

      Delete

Blog Design by Caked Designs